This is another recipe that was submitted by healthy recipe contest and cooking demonstration held on February 17th.Â While the recipe calls for chicken broth, vegetable broth could be substituted to make it a true vegetarian soup.for the
I made some modifications to the recipe mainly to be able to make it from what I had at home.Â I also used dry beans which I soaked and cooked ahead of time.Â To save on energy usage, I cooked about two pounds of beans and froze what I did not need for the soup.Â Now I have some containers of precooked beans ready to throw into other recipes.
I also used homemade chicken broth since I realized I could pay $5.99 for a whole rotisserie chicken, already cooked (easy dinner, leftovers for lunch the next day, and boiled the rest to make a large pot of broth) OR I could pay about the same amount for two quarts of high quality broth.Â In addition to having two meals from the chicken, I made enough broth for this soup, froze three cups for future use in a chicken pot pie or Spanish rice, and I have about 1.5 c. of leftover pulled chicken in the freezer for another recipe.Â All in all, a much better deal than buying prepared broth, and much lower in sodium!
Turbo Veggie Soup Recipe
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 8 oz. spinach (I omitted this since the bunch of kale I bought was rather large)
- 1 lg sweet potato or 2 small, cut up in cubes with skin on (I used 4 small sweet potatoes)
- 1 lg Vidalia onion, diced (I used 3 small yellow onions)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 – 32 oz. of chicken stock
- 1 can of diced tomato with jalapenos, undrained (I used two fresh tomatoes, diced)
- Â½ tsp cumin
- Â½ tsp oregano
- Â¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- a little fresh basil and parsley if on hand
- black pepper to taste
- Â½ tsp sea salt (I left this out since the precooked rotisserie chicken probably had salt in it.)
- Optional: cooked soup noodles or rice
Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large soup pot.Â Pour in broth.Â Add all other ingredients except noodles or rice.Â Simmer until potatoes are soft.Â Add in soup noodles or rice.