I found a recipe for chocolate beet cake a while back on the Summit Springs Farm recipe page, and have been meaning to try it out.Â On my last trip to Axis Natural Foods, I saw Summit Springs Farm beets in the produce section, and decided to buy some to finally make this cake.Â The results were a very moist, not-too-sweet cake that would be excellent served warm with vanilla ice cream.
The original version of this recipe is from, though I cut the recipe back to make a smaller 8 x 8 inch cake, and decided to spice it up a bit as follows:
Spiced Chocolate Beet Cake
- 1/2 of a 5.3 oz Green & Black’s Baking Chocolate bar
- 1/2 c. of vegetable oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. pureed cooked beets
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Â Oil cake pan and dust with flour, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Break chocolate into small pieces, place in a microwave safe bowl, and add about 3 tbsp. of the 1/2 c. of oil to the bowl.Â Microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted and well blended with the oil.Â Set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar and beat until fluffy.Â Slowly beat in the remaining oil, chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Gently stir the flour mixture into the egg and chocolate mixture, pour batter into the greased pan, and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick test proves the center is properly cooked.